- This event has passed.
Day for Dharmacharinis and Women Training for Ordination
Sun 6th Sep : 10:30 am - 4:30 pm
Beauty as the Path to Freedom – Exploring Wabi Sabi
An online day for women in training for ordination in the Triratna Buddhist Order, along with women Order members
Wabi Sabi, defined by Leonard Koran as The beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete, is a form of Japanese aesthetics associated with Zen Buddhism. Through turning towards our experience of the natural world, with curiosity, the ordinary, transitory and broken can become vivid and beautiful to us, giving us a way to more naturally and deeply explore the Laksanas, or marks of our conditioned lives.
Taravandana, Gill Parry, Liz Graham, Robin Ellis and Lisa Wilde all participated in a month-long Wabi Sabi Retreat during lockdown, and they now lead a day of meditation and experiential practice and short talks, along with an opportunity to explore the world around us through a different perspective and a Puja inspired by Ryoken, the Japanese hermit.
The price for this kind of day is now £24 standard rate / £16 concessionary / £10 age 18 – 25. Payment still a problem? As a small unfunded charity, the Centre relies on the generosity of people who come here, but we don’t want to turn anyone away. Please contact the Centre Team on email@example.com and we’ll work something out with you.
Please note that bookings will close at 6 pm on Saturday 5th September
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal - Book Now
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? email@example.com
Join this event through the Zoom AppWhile the Centre is mostly closed by the coronavirus pandemic, we're running many events online through Zoom. • New to Zoom? • Our online classes and other events are friendly and participative, with opportunities to ask questions and share your own experience. Do turn your camera and microphone on if you can! • If a session doesn't start on time, please give it a few minutes, there's probably a sudden problem at our end.
• We’ll email you the Zoom link to join the day once you’ve booked
10.30 Welcome, introductions, meditation: Opening the Senses
11.15 Introducing Wabi Sabi; two short talks: Wabi Sabi and me
12.20 Connecting in small groups
12.55 Preparing to explore Wabi Sabi through the world around us
1.10 Lunch and Wabi Sabi adventure with walking meditation
2.15 Slide show: Seeing the Beauty in the Unexpected
2.40 Small groups: Sharing our experiences
3.10 Coming back to the senses
3.40 Ryoken Hermit Puja
4.20 Coming back together, then close
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date