- This event has passed.
Essential Dharma Training for Men: The True Individual
Sun 22nd Nov : 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Led by Ratnaguna, Mahasraddha, Arthavadin and Vishangka.
The True Individual
‘Am I an individual, or just a social unit? This is the central question of our personal lives, and it is one we need to keep asking ourselves, and keep trying to penetrate more deeply. It is also the key to the development of a sangha, a spiritual community. No individuals, no sangha. Any consideration of what the sangha is must therefore include as full an understanding as possible of the nature of individuality. So – what is an individual?’
Sangharakshita from ‘What is the Sangha?’
Join us in the second of our sessions exploring the teaching of the True Individual.
Last time we heard the qualities of the true individual – deep self awareness, emotional positivity, taking responsibility, and freedom from group conditioning. These qualities aren’t abstract, but to be experienced and developed as part of a deepening spiritual life.
In this session, using meditation, readings and puja, Mahasraddha and friends will explore these qualities as they are found in the figure of the Buddha, and help us to use our imagination to contact these qualities
Who is the event for?It’s for Order members, Mitras and Centre regulars who have completed a Buddhism Going Deeper course. Please get in touch if you’re not sure.
9.30: Intro by Vishangka
9.45: Meditation and reading by Mahasraddha and Ratnaguna
10.15: Talk and meditation by Mahasraddha
11: Meditation on the Buddha and readings by Mahasraddha and Ratnaguna
12.15pm: Dhammapada Puja and Shakyamuni mantra
Join this event through the Zoom AppDuring the pandemic, we're running many events online through Zoom. • New to Zoom? • Our online classes and other events are friendly and participative, with opportunities to ask questions and share your own experience. Do turn your camera and microphone on if you can! • If a session doesn't start on time, please give it a few minutes, there's probably a sudden problem at our end.
• We’ll email you the Zoom link to join the day once you’ve booked.
• Bookings will close at 3 pm on 20th November.
PricesThe price for this kind of day is now £24 standard rate / £16 concessionary / £10 age 18 - 25. Payment still a problem? As a small unfunded charity, the Centre relies on the generosity of people who come here, but we don't want to turn anyone away. Please contact the Centre Team on firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll work something out with you.
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal - Book Now
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre at email@example.com, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date