- This event has passed.
Essential Dharma Training for Men: The True Individual
Sun 25th Oct : 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Led by Ratnaguna, Mahasraddha, Arthavadin and Vishangka.
The True Individual
‘Am I an individual, or just a social unit? This is the central question of our personal lives, and it is one we need to keep asking ourselves, and keep trying to penetrate more deeply. It is also the key to the development of a sangha, a spiritual community. No individuals, no sangha. Any consideration of what the sangha is must therefore include as full anunderstanding as possible of the nature of individuality. So – what is an individual?’
Sangharakshita from ‘What is the Sangha?’
A new monthly online initiative in the Manchester men’s sangha. What are the essential Dharma teachings that will help us on the path to awakening? In these sessions we will explore what these are and how to live our lives by them.
One of Sangharakshita’s key teachings is about what it means to be a true individual. How can we be free of our unhelpful group conditioning and aspire to a freedom, individually and collectively, beyond what we know now? The teaching explores areas such as awareness, courage, independence, positive emotion and energy for the good.
In these three sessions we will explore what this teaching means for us today, look to the Buddha as an example of these qualities, and look at how to be an individual with others in the sangha.
To find out more about this session, watch this YouTube video.
Who is the event for?It’s for Order members, Mitras and Centre regulars who have completed a Buddhism Going Deeper course. Please get in touch if you’re not sure.
9.30: Intro by Vishangka
9.40: Refuges and Precepts, Meditation led by Arthavadin
10.10: Talk by Ratnaguna: The Individual, the Group and the Spiritual Community
10.50: Tea break and reflecting on questions from the talk
11.05: Small group discussion
11.40: Talk on the group and the individual by Arthavadin
12.20: Concluding thoughts and Transference of Merits by Vishangka
Join this event through the Zoom AppWhile the Centre is mostly closed by the coronavirus pandemic, we're running many events online through Zoom. • New to Zoom? • Our online classes and other events are friendly and participative, with opportunities to ask questions and share your own experience. Do turn your camera and microphone on if you can! • If a session doesn't start on time, please give it a few minutes, there's probably a sudden problem at our end.
• We’ll email you the Zoom link to join the day once you’ve booked.
• Bookings will close at 4 pm on 23rd October.
PricesThe price for this kind of day is now £24 standard rate / £16 concessionary / £10 age 18 - 25. Payment still a problem? As a small unfunded charity, the Centre relies on the generosity of people who come here, but we don't want to turn anyone away. Please contact the Centre Team on email@example.com and we'll work something out with you.
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal - Book Now
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? email@example.com
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date