- This event has passed.
Meditation Weekend with Vajradevi
Sat 17th Oct : 10:00 am - Sun 18th Oct : 4:30 pm
Over the past twenty years, Vajradevi has been exploring meditation based on the Satipatthana Sutta – the Buddha’s teaching on mindfulness. This has taken her far afield from Shrewsbury in the UK where she’s based – to the US and to Burma / Myanmar. Ahead of her upcoming book, Uncontrived Mindfulness, Vajradevi will be bringing the fruits of her practice to us here in Manchester, with a meditation weekend using the Satipatthana Sutta’s framework of the to cultivate awareness and right view.
Mindfulness, or Awareness, is a natural resource always available to us. When we tune in with interest and without strain, to our direct experience, we allow the mind and heart to settle and recognise deeper aspects of itself. These might be states of suffering or great beauty and purity, or we can recognise subtle understandings of the wisdom mind. We can learn to be aware of whatever is happening with simplicity and clarity. More than anything, the quality of awareness – when it becomes natural and uncontrived – changes the nature of our experience, transforming suffering into freedom.
The weekend runs at the same times each day and will be spaced to take account of the nature of online events. Please “arrive” from 10 am for a 10.30 start
Who is this Weekend for?It's suitable for anyone familiar with the two meditation practices we teach here - Mindfulness of Breathing and Metta Bhavana - and with at least six months regular meditation practice. Intensive meditation weekends may bring up difficult issues though, so if you have a diagnosed or suspected mental health condition, or are at a painful point in your life, please talk to us before you book, so that we can make sure that this weekend is going to be the best thing for you at this time.
PricesThe price for the weekend is £90 standard rate; £60 concessionary; £25 age 18 - 25. Payment still a problem? As a small unfunded charity, the Centre relies on the generosity of people who come here, but we don't want to turn anyone away from our courses. Please contact the Centre Team on email@example.com and we'll work something out with you.
Join this event through the Zoom AppDuring the pandemic, we're running many events online through Zoom. • New to Zoom? • Our online classes and other events are friendly and participative, with opportunities to ask questions and share your own experience. Do turn your camera and microphone on if you can! • If a session doesn't start on time, please give it a few minutes, there's probably a sudden problem at our end.
• We’ll email you the Zoom link to join the weekend once you’ve booked
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal - Book Now
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? email@example.com
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date