Men’s Sangha Retreat 2019
Fri 20th Sep : 6:00 pm - Sun 22nd Sep : 3:00 pm£100 – £150
Our fourth and final gathering for men in 2019 is our annual men’s Sangha retreat at Lockerbrook in Derbyshire. The theme this time is, We Will Wash this Monk – reflections on the “Monk with Dysentery”. With talks, discussion, meditation and ritual, being on retreat is the perfect opportunity to live, work, hang out together and get a taste of community life.
Who is the Retreat for?It’s for Order members, Mitras and Centre regulars who have completed a Buddhism Level 2 / Going Deeper course. Please get in touch if you’re not sure.
£150 full rate, £120 mid rate, £100 low rate. Please decide which price fits your circumstances and income. Please book in good time to help the organisers arrange accommodation and catering – bookings will close a few days before the retreat. The venue is Lockerbrook Farm Outdoor Centre in Derbyshire. Accommodation is in shared rooms and there is good disabled access. Vegan meals included, and limitless cups of tea . . .
We Will Wash This Monk – reflections on “The Monk with Dysentery”
One of the most important early Buddhist texts is the tale of the Buddha who comes across a sick monk, ill with dysentery. After he helps to care for the monk, the Buddha exhorts the Sangha to look after each other, saying:
“Monks, you have no mother, you have no father, who might tend to you. If you don’t tend to one another, who then will tend to you? Whoever would tend to me, should tend to the sick.”
What is the relevance of this sutta for us today, as a modern Buddhist Sangha? Mahasraddha will help us to reflect on this in relation to our daily lives as members of the Sangha. We’ll also hear from others about how they have experienced the care of the Sangha. The retreat will be underpinned by the practice of the four Brahma Vihara meditations – kindness, compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity – and also group discussion and devotional practice.
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal - Book Now
• Or phone 0161 834 9232 to pay with a card, or call in and pay with cash or card
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre on 0161 834 9232, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? 0161 834 9232 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• If you’re booking, please let us know if you can offer a lift, or need one – we usually manage to arrange for people to travel together
• Full joining instructions will be sent after booking
Retreat FundSangha members who cannot afford a retreat may be able to get help from our retreat bursary fund. Or if you can, please join in and give to the fund so everyone gets the chance to go on retreat.
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date