- This event has passed.
Men’s Sangha Retreat 2020: Becoming Boundless
Sat 26th Sep : 8:00 am - Sun 27th Sep : 4:00 pm
Join Silabodhi and Vidyapala for a weekend exploring the Brahmaviharas
The Brahmaviharas, or the four immeasurables, are the four boundless states of loving-kindness (Metta), compassion (Karuna), sympathetic joy (Mudita), and equanimity (Upekkha). We’ll be exploring the meditation practices used to cultivate these qualities and reflecting on what these teachings offer us now in a time of such fear and uncertainty. Silabodhi and Vidyapala will also be looking at how these practices can form a gradual entry into emptiness (Shunyata), as found in the Buddha’s Shorter Discourse on Emptiness.
The morning’s activities will be only be online via on Zoom. There will be an option to attend the afternoon’s events on both days in person (max 12 people) or online via Zoom, if you’d prefer. We hope you understand that we need to operate a booking system for the time being in order to maintain physical distancing. So do book a free ticket below if you’d like to attend the afternoon’s events in person at the Centre. If you want to attend on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon then do please book a ticket for both days. No need to book if you just want to attend via Zoom.
The weekend runs at the same times each day and will be spaced to take account of the nature of online events
Who is the event for?
It’s suitable for anyone familiar with the two meditation practices we teach here – Mindfulness of Breathing and Metta Bhavana – and with at least six months regular meditation practice. Intensive meditation weekends may bring up difficult issues though, so if you have a diagnosed or suspected mental health condition, or are at a painful point in your life, please talk to us before you book, so that we can make sure that this weekend is going to be the best thing for you at this time.
Saturday and Sunday
- 8 am – 8. 40 am: Meditation and chanting (Online on Zoom)
- 8. 40 am – 8. 45 am: Break
- 8. 45 am – 9. 15 am: Meditation (Online on Zoom)
- 1 pm – 4 pm: Teaching, meditation, discussion groups (do book a free ticket below if you’d like to attend the afternoon’s events in person at the Centre.)
Join this event through the Zoom App
While the Centre is mostly closed by the coronavirus pandemic, we're running many events online through Zoom.
• New to Zoom?
• Our online classes and other events are friendly and participative, with opportunities to ask questions and share your own experience. Do turn your camera and microphone on if you can!
• If a session doesn't start on time, please give it a few minutes, there's probably a sudden problem at our end.
• Meeting ID: 964 5261 8641 Passcode: 813975
Supporting the Centre
We want to offer as much as we can freely online for as long as can. These are very difficult times for us though, and being closed means we have lost much of our income: we need your help! So if you value our Centre and community, please think about making a regular or one-off donation.