- This event has passed.
A Marathon of Practice
Sat 6th Jul : 6:00 am - Sun 7th Jul : 9:30 am
A twenty-seven hour Buddhist practice period led by Karen Levin at the Centre, to run alongside our Three Peaks Challenge, in which a small Sangha group tackles the highest peaks in England, Scotland and Wales to raise money for our beautiful Centre.
The idea is to be in connection with the walkers at certain points during their mountain challenge, and to be alongside them and sustaining Dharma practice here, from the moment they take their first step until the last step of the last walker. It’s also a chance to make new friends, enjoy existing friends, and to deepen our practice together.
We’ll be practising as the walkers walk, with meditation, puja, body work, talks and a play! Overnight we’ll sleep in the Centre as the walkers sleep as they are driven from Scafell Pike to Snowdon. This is a dana event, based on generosity. There’ll be a bowl for cash, or you can make a pledge, or sponsor one of the walkers.
Who is the event for?It’s for Order members, Mitras and Centre regulars who have completed a Buddhism Going Deeper course. Please get in touch if you’re not sure. We’re inviting participants from Tools for Living your Life to join us for part of the time too.
• No need to book. Come for the whole thing or whichever parts you can
• There’ll be a ten-minute transition period from one session to the next, where you can leave or enter a session
• You can get in to join us at specific times when the Centre is closed – 5:50 am, 7:50 am, 8:50 am, 5:50 pm, 8:50 pm on Saturday; 3:50 am, 5:50 am, 7:50 am Sunday. The Centre will be open 10 – 5 as usual on Saturday
• If you can’t do the whole practice marathon but still want to help out, you could offer to make or bring enough food to share with those who can
• Please bring sleeping bag and mat for the sleepover, and vegan food if you are coming for any length of time
• We invite you to bring something for the shrine relating to the elements, mountains, walking, climbing – maybe a rock, picture, walking boots, water bottle, a mountain poem. No need to be there for the shrine building – you can add things later
6 am: Dedication ceremony and building the shrine, led by Karen
7 am: Body movement, including body scan meditation
8 am: Led med special! With Silabodhi
9 am: Breakfast at the Mezzanine Base Camp. Please bring vegan food to share. If it's vegetarian but not vegan, please label it clearly.
10 am: Talk and discussion with Suryaka
11 am: Meditation practice and enquiry – overcoming the challenges, finding the joy in our meditation practice. Led by Sundeep and joined by Tools for Living your Life participants
12 noon: What are the conditions that help our practice? A light and humorous exploration with a play! Written by Sarasuvanna, performed by Alison and Sarasuvanna, narrated by Catherine and joined by Tools for Living your Life participants
1 pm: Lunch at the Mezzanine Base Camp. Please bring vegan food to share. If it's vegetarian but not vegan, please label it clearly.
2 pm: Ratnaguna on five things he wants us to know
3 pm: Reflection or body movement session
4 pm: Mountain meditation, puja and poetry, led by Dayanandi (two hours)
6 pm: Meal at the Mezzanine Base Camp. Please bring vegan food to share. If it's vegetarian but not vegan, please label it clearly.
7 pm: Film: Amongst White Clouds – Buddhist Hermit Masters of China’s Zhongnan Mountain
9 pm: Puja, maybe with story-telling
10 pm: Meditation
11 pm-ish: End
12 midnight: Sleepover in Lotus Hall
4 am: Tiratana Vandana and meditation
5 am: Body movement and cup of tea
6 am: Bodhisattva activity – litter picking nearby
7 am: Breakfast at the Mezzanine Base Camp. Please bring vegan food to share. If it's vegetarian but not vegan, please label it clearly.
8 am: Meditation – Sesshin
9 am-ish: End