- This event has passed.
Sangha Retreat 2019, Adhisthana
Fri 19th Apr : 6:00 pm - Mon 22nd Apr : 3:00 pm
Bookings for this retreat are now closed
Join us at the Triratna Buddhist Community’s spiritual home for the big Manchester Sangha gathering of the year, and the last retreat that Arthavadin co-leads as our Chair. The theme this time is Why I am a Buddhist. With talks, discussion, meditation and ritual, being on retreat is the perfect opportunity to live, work, hang out together and get a taste of community life. Adhisthana, in Herefordshire, also offers an opportunity to practice alongside the wider Triratna Community.
£150 full rate, £120 mid rate, £100 low rate. Please decide which price fits your circumstances and income.
Who is the Retreat for?It’s for Order members, Mitras and Centre regulars who have completed a Buddhism Level 2 / Going Deeper course. Please get in touch if you’re not sure.
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal - Book Now
• Or phone 0161 834 9232 to pay with a card, or call in and pay with cash or card
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre on 0161 834 9232, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? 0161 834 9232 or email@example.com
• Please book in good time to help the organisers arrange accommodation and catering.
• Accommodation at Adhisthana is in shared rooms and there is good disabled access. Vegan meals included, and limitless cups of tea . . .
Why I am a Buddhist
In the 1980s, Sangharakshita spoke of why he was a Buddhist. Using this as our starting point, we will explore three aspects of his talk:
• Buddhism as a universal religion of humanity: What are the existential truths the Buddha saw What do they mean for us today?
• Humanity is basically one: Can we communicate and be friends with any other human being? What is spiritual friendship?
• The place of religion in a secular world: Is Buddhism a religion? What is faith? What can religion offer to humanity?
There will also be short talks by Sangha members about why they are a Buddhist, and throughout the weekend we’ll deepen our practice of the metta bhavana.
• Why I am a Buddhist by Sangharakshita (pdf format) – We’ll be using this text through the retreat
Retreat FundSangha members who cannot afford a retreat may be able to get help from our retreat bursary fund. Or if you can, please join in and give to the fund so everyone gets the chance to go on retreat.
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date