- This event has passed.
Women’s Sangha Retreat: Alive, Aware, Awake
Fri 24th Sep : 6:00 pm - Sun 26th Sep : 3:00 pm£50 – £150
Join Suryaka, Karunatara and friends for a weekend retreat in the Derbyshire countryside.
This is a weekend for all who are part of the women’s Sangha at Manchester Buddhist Centre – from Mitras to Order Members along with those who are newer. Our annual weekend retreat for women is a great opportunity for all of us to come together.
Alive, Aware, Awake
This year we will be exploring the essential Buddhist quality of awareness. We often go through life in a hurried, vague and unaware state, distracted from distraction by distraction. In this way we never really experience our precious, fleeting life. Through the ancient practice of awareness, or mindfulness, we can begin to change this, we can become more alive, aware and awake.
Sangharakshita talks of four levels of awareness. We become aware of things, the world around us – we savour and really take in our environment. We become aware of ourselves, of what’s really going on for us. We become aware of other people, we go from seeing them as mere things to seeing them as priceless living beings just like us. Finally, we become aware of Reality, of how things really are and how this can be expressed through the figure of the Buddha and other Enlightened beings.
During the weekend, we’ll spend time in the beautiful surrounding countryside, hang out with one another and explore this fascinating theme together.
Prices and Practicals
£150 standard rate / £100 concessionary / £50 age 18 - 25. Payment still a problem? As a small unfunded charity, the Centre relies on the generosity of people who come here, but we don't want to turn anyone away from our events. Please contact the Centre Team on 0161 834 9232 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll work something out with you.
The retreat is at Dukes Barn, School Lane, Beeley, Derbyshire, DE4 2NU. Accommodation is in shared rooms and there is good disabled access. Vegetarian meals included and unlimited cups of tea.
In Covid Times . . .
We’re aware that physical proximity to others might be a concern for people at the moment. To help create a more spacious retreat environment, we’re offering an area on-site for those who would like to camp. We’re also limiting numbers to thirty and bookings are now closed. Please contact Louise on email@example.com if you’d like to be on a waiting list for any cancellations.
Although we are asking for a payment with your booking, we understand that these are difficult and uncertain times in terms of planning and cash flow for many of us. To help with this:
• We’ll give a full refund if COVID regulations mean we need to make alternative arrangements for the retreat – as a non-residential retreat at Manchester Buddhist Centre or online
• If you’d prefer to just pay a deposit for now, please pay the Young Person’s rate of £50 and let us know that it is a deposit in the notes field, rather than a full booking as an 18-25 year old
Retreat FundSangha members who cannot afford a retreat may be able to get help from our retreat bursary fund. Or if you can, please give to the fund so everyone gets the chance to go on retreat.
Booking your Place• You need to book and pay in advance please
• Book online with a credit or debit card, or by Paypal
• Booking for someone else online? Tell us in the Additional Information box at checkout
• If there are any health issues, physical, emotional or mental, that could affect your participation in a course or event, please contact the Buddhist Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask to talk confidentially to one of our Order members, before making your booking
• Questions? 0161 834 9232 or email@example.com
• We’re still sorting out arrangements for lifts, travel and so on – information to follow as soon as we can
• Full joining details will be sent after booking
Not been on Retreat before?
Well, here’s a great place to start, in the friendly company of some faces you may already know or have seen online, all of us coming together to create a sense of community and belonging as we share our journey together. A Manchester Buddhist Centre retreat can help you develop friendship, deepen meditation and discover new inspirations for your practice. It’s suitable for women familiar with our community, whether online or in person, with the two meditation practices we teach here, and open to Buddhist ritual. Please get in touch if you’re not sure.
What if I have to cancel?Get in touch - you can:
• Transfer to a similar event when possible
• Cancel and get a full refund if the event is more than 14 days away
• Cancel, but with a cancellation charge of £10 for a day event or six-week course; £20 for a weekend event; £50 for a residential retreat, if less than 14 days from the event date